Google+

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Getting married is a comforting feeling: Mohit Chauhan




One of the perks of marriage is that you have someone to share your thoughts with and someone to come back home to, says singer Mohit Chauhan who had a hush hush marriage with journalist Prarthana Gehlot in a quiet corner in Himachal Pradesh.

"I didn't take the plunge for a long time. Now I am glad I did. I now have someone to share my thoughts and my creative ideas with. Most importantly, I now have someone to come back home to in Mumbai," he said adding that he is planning a "receiption for friends".

Mohit tied the knot with Prarthana June 29 at a hotel in Barog, near Kasauli hills in Solan district, Himachal Pradesh. Born to Krishana Rana and B.K. Rana, the singer belongs to Nahan in Sirmaur district.

Now he is looking forward to new phase in his life as well as his new album.

"My wife is part of the album. The whole idea of doing a non-film album is to make it a personal statement," he said.

Excerpts from the interview:

Q: Why so secretive about your marriage?


A: (Laughs in embarrassment) I am here in my hometown in Himachal still going through the post wedding rituals. My wedding was a very private affair for close family only. I will now have a reception for friends in Mumbai or Delhi. As soon as I am back in Mumbai, I will take a call on the reception.

Q: Tell me about your wife.

A: Her name is Prarthana. So I've no choice but to be deeply religious in life (laughs). It an love-cum-arranged marriage. Prarthana and I have known each for some years. She was my friend, and then we thought we should take our friendship to another level.

Q: So you married your best friend?

A: Ha ha. Not quite. She was a friend. I liked spending time with her...The vibration between the two of us is wonderful. With Prarthana I felt she was not just a friend but also someone who contributed substantially to my singing.

Q: Do you feel more complete after marriage?
A: Getting married is definitely a very comforting feeling. I didn't take the plunge for a long time. Now I am glad I did. I now have someone to share my thoughts and my creative ideas with. Most importantly I now have someone to come back home to in Mumbai.

Q: Is Prarthana interested in music?

A:
She is interested in music. But she isn't a singer. She is a writer and journalist. But she loves music. And she is contributing in terms of ideas and lyrics to my songs in my new album which would be out soon.

Q: So did you go through all the rituals like a good boy?

A:
(laughs) Traditionally our Himachal weddings take a week. My marriage took two days. I return to Mumbai in some time. I've been getting calls asking where I am. I need to get back to work.

Q: Tell me about your new album?

A:
This would be my third solo album. There will be one song in the English language. I've also dedicated one song tomy roots in Himachal. I've composed all the tunes. My wife is part of the album. The whole idea of doing a non-film album is to make it a personal statement. A private album has to be about the artiste. It gives the musician complete freedom to say what I want to.

Q: Have you had anything comparable to "Rockstar" coming your way?

A:
That was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I am thankful to god I got it. No, I haven't got a similar offer. Yes, I am working with A.R. Rahman again. But for an opportunity like "Rockstar", I'll have to wait a while.a while. 



No comments: